Pages

Friday 27 December 2013

I have a dream...

“Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly” ~ Langston Hughes

I woke up this morning, December 27th 2013 and was too lazy to get the day started. I am a voracious reader and I’m obsessed with reading blog posts. During one of my routine readings, I came across a post where the author said something about him not wanting to grow up or die because we die when we stop dreaming. Society is beginning to associate growing up with leaving behind your dreams and facing reality. I was inspired by the post and was going to go on checking other posts but I lost all concentration. Martin Luther King’s words kept playing in my head…
“NOW, I SAY TO YOU TODAY MY FRIENDS, EVEN THOUGH WE FACE THE DIFFICULTIES OF TODAY AND TOMORROW, I STILL HAVE A DREAM. IT’S A DREAM DEEPLY ROOTED IN THE AMERICAN DREAM. I HAVE A DREAM THAT ONE DAY THIS NATION WILL RISE UP AND LIVE OUT THE TRUE MEANING OF ITS CREED:-‘WE HOLD THESE TRUTHS TO BE SELF- EVIDENT, THAT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL”.

He said this in 1963 and today, his dream is being realized though not completely. I have a dream as well or should I say I have dreams. I have had different dreams since I was a little girl. As I started growing up, life really started happening to me, I then started adjusting my dreams. Started reshaping them to fit my reality and at a point, I started sleeping because I stopped dreaming. I woke up back though but not with the energy, conviction, hope, determination and faith I once had. But thank God for the article I read. It was a strong reminder that I have a dream.

I’m a realistic person but I think I can still be a child. Believe in fairy tales and have an insurmountable dream. Although life is happening to us, although we are no longer children and reality has really set in for us, in our hearts, we should still be children. Not in the way we act but, in the way we dream and believe in our dreams. Dreams keep us alive and they give us hope. Working towards actualizing your dreams even if you have to defy gravity should be a daily commitment. Because, like Martin Luther King who died before his dreams were accomplished but believed so strongly in them, your dreams might take time but with enough determination, they can still come through even if it takes years. One of my definitions for a courageous person is someone that has that yearning that’s so big and though he is faced with so many obstacles, the size of that yearning is not affected in his heart. The fight attached to that yearning is not lessened by the blows life has given him. If you have stopped dreaming, associate yourself with dreamers and trust me, the dreams will come alive. If you have forgotten your dreams, take a minute out of your busy schedule and create new dreams. They will keep your heart alive and keep your passion burning. Be realistic but don’t let realism take away your dreams. DREAM!!! DREAM!!! DREAM!!! AND NEVER STOP DREAMING!!!
“I challenge you to be dreamers; I challenge you to be doers and let us make the greatest place in the world even better”~Brian Schweitzer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share what you think about the article/story you just read. Slante!