Pages

Monday 2 June 2014

Thank you was such a big deal




“Be nice to people. All people even when you don’t have to be. Everyone is important” excerpt from Gifted hands, Ben Carson.

I think I am a polite girl to a considerable extent but that politeness didn't extend to people like security guards, those that opened doors for me at restaurants, waiters and the likes. I wouldn't open my mouth to say "thank you" when those that stood by the doors at restaurants opened the door for me. I wouldn't even say thank you to a waiter that was serving me or at the saloon. I felt thank you wasn't needed after all they were doing their jobs. That changed though and no, there was no unique experience that made that change. That changed during my A-levels. I found it really weird that my classmates would say "thank you Mike" to my psychology teacher who I didn't like initially when he finished teaching us. In my mind, I was like, "why are they thanking him? Is he not doing his job?!" Reluctantly, I started saying "thank you" too so I won't be the odd one out but my "thank you" was always muffled. I don't know when it became part of me because I found myself naturally saying thank you to him and others. So I no longer kept quiet when a waiter served me. I said "thank you" because even though it is his/her job, he/she could have chosen not to serve me and could have even given me attitude (although many do as if I'm the one that said they should work there. If you are not happy with your job, do something about it and don't take it out on me. Besides, you can never really go far in life with a stupid attitude. So while working that job, give your best and make people comfortable around you. At the saloon that I make my hair, I ask for one particular guy because, in addition to the fact that he works magic, he is also a very courteous person who makes me feel comfortable).

I will still say "thank you" if you give me attitude and there is a reason why I will still treat you well no matter who you are (unless you are really the sassy type that is ridiculously proud and can't treat others with respect. Why should I treat you with respect?). You are a person and that is more than enough reason. You are God's product and like he said in Genesis, you were created in his image. So you are God's ambassador on earth. If I will treat him with respect, I should treat you with respect even if I don’t like you. John wrote in 1 John 4:20 “whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother or sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God whom they have not seen (NIV)”. So out of agape love (it is not an emotion. It is an act of the will so I don’t have to like you but I can choose to love you), I should be able to treat you well. Everyone is important even cleaners and security guards who you might look down on because you feel you are better off. Gratitude is the attitude you should adopt darling because it might have been you. You might not have been lucky enough to be born in and grow up in an environment that shaped you to be who you are today. You might not have had the opportunities you ceased that added to who you are today. So instead of walking that no one dares talk to you, instead of talking and acting like you have it all, instead of being rude to that person you feel is inferior, be grateful because it might have been you.

Aside from the fact that, that cleaner is important because she is a person, she is also important because life can be funny and there are many uncertainties. Darling, who says you will forever remain in the position you are now? Who says that staff that is below you can’t be your superior tomorrow? Who says you can’t be polite or greet first because you are older? Sow niceness darling and you will definitely reap it back. Who says you can’t learn something from that cleaner? Or who says that person that is working in your shop doesn’t have intellectual abilities that can even help move your business forward? Sweetheart, only God knows tomorrow and what he has deposited in each person. We never know what anyone will become and it’s better to treat everyone well. It doesn’t kill to be nice and polite. Everyone matters. Everyone!!! So never think that person that is coming to you for help doesn’t matter. Never think that person that is not in your socio-economic class doesn’t have value. You are not better than anyone, you just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

I will leave you with an excerpt from ‘think big’ by Ben Carson…

"ONE ELDERLY GENTLE-MAN ONCE SAID, “WHEN I TREAT OTHER PEOPLE WITH KINDNESS AND LOVE, IT IS PART OF MY WAY OF PAYING MY DEBT TO GOD AND THE WORLD FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF LIVING ON THIS PLANET.”



    
 
Yayyyy!!! It’s my Birthweek. My birthday is on Friday. Surprisingly, I am really excited about this one. Maybe, because I will be spending it with family (haven’t done that in years) and I have too many things to be grateful for this year and I love who I am becoming and I have such amazing friends. Then I’m more serious with this whole blogging thing and I feel fulfilled. Okay, my darlings. Have a beautiful week and eat all the cake you can for me on Friday (I don’t think I will be eating cake. Itoro said I am now fat so it’s time to watch it.)

Goodluck to Toy Toy, worst mother in the world.
To the world, Adios!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share what you think about the article/story you just read. Slante!