Pages

Sunday 9 March 2014

what does my character say about me?

I love Nigerians but I have a fear. I fear most of us character. I’m not saying people from other countries don’t also have a character defect but, I will talk from what I have noticed in Nigeria.

My dad had an employee. This was an employee that was treated well; privileges were extended to him, given free food, house and car. He was an employee that was treated like a brother yet that same employee didn’t blink twice before stealing about ten million from the company.

Honest truth: I am scared of letting Nigerians handle my business. I don’t want to stereotype. Not all Nigerians are the same but, it can be really hard to distinguish between the honest and the dishonest.) Whenever the big generator in the house broke down, my dad would call the engineer. He would fix it and by the next day, another problem would have occurred. I don’t know if this is true as I have no evidence but, I feel he probably tampered with something so he will be called back.

A family friend counted money and gave it to his employee to count again. This employee didn’t know he had already counted the money. So he told the employee it was a certain amount of money but, he should count it again. The employee counted it and told him it was the money he said it was. This was a lie. The money was reduced by two thousand naira. He would have gotten away with the lie, had my family friend not counted the money himself.

I know some employees who will do their personal work with enthusiasm, with a sense of urgency and to the best of their ability. But when it comes to the work of their employee or their place of work, a lackadaisical attitude is adopted. They have to be begged to do the work. What is wrong with the world?

In a law firm, a lawyer who I believe her idea is brilliant is going about it in a totally wrong way. You have a brilliant idea, good! But what happens to INTEGRITY? From what I know, she has created another law firm under this law firm. It wouldn’t be wrong if she isn’t sneaking behind her boss’ back. It wouldn’t be wrong if she isn’t planning on using the resources at the law firm for her own law firm without paying anything. It wouldn’t be wrong if she leaves the law firm, establishes her own and has to deal with the things that accompanies owning your own law firm. But no, the law firm she works at has to carry the weight of her own established law firm which her boss is not aware of. There won’t be cost of staff, management and the likes. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? MONEY AND GREED?

We all want to be rich but, it is a shame the way I notice most people go about it. So many people don’t want to travel the long route that is paved with endurance and a building of one’s character. Most will rather go through the shorter route that requires dropping admirable attitudes that will actually get you far in life. Money is good. Having initiatives is good but didn’t the bible say in PROVERBS 22:1 that “A GOOD NAME IS TO BE CHOSEN RATHER THAN GREAT RICHES, AND FAVOR IS BETTER THAN SILVER OR GOLD”?… when you have all the riches in the world, the influence and so on and your name cannot be called without people scrunching up their noses, do you really think you have anything?

When you will rather cheat, lie than tell the truth and do another’s work like it is yours. Do you really think the wealth you amass will last?
Ever heard of the saying, “YOUR ATTITUDE IS YOUR WEALTH”? Please I know the world is really going through a moral decadence but don’t let your attitude also go through such. YOUR ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. BE A MAN/WOMAN OF INTEGRITY. BE SOMEONE THAT CAN BE TRUSTED EVEN WITH ‘MONEY’ AND YOUR ATTITUDE WILL MAKE WAYS FOR YOU. Your money can finish, your buildings can collapse, your life can take an unexpected turn but the truth is, YOU CAN NEVER BE FINISHED WITH A GOOD ATTITUDE. YOUR GOOD ATTITUDE AND RECORD WITH PEOPLE WILL HELP REBUILD ANYTHING YOU MIGHT LOSE.

Henceforth, let’s make the conscious effort to live right and be someone of a good character. Instead of thinking about what people can do for us, let’s think about what we can do for people. WHAT WILL PEOPLE SAY ABOUT YOU WHEN YOU ARE GONE? 
Have a nice week people.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share what you think about the article/story you just read. Slante!